Town HallMarker 13. |
Lyngby
|
The town hall, with its characteristic curved facade, was built during 1939-1941. The building, which has 6 floors, is covered with marble from Greenland and dominates the town square. The slightly withdrawn attic is clad with copper. Behind the large windows above the entrance is the municipal council meeting hall, which is two storeys high. The low building at the rear was the police station from 1941 to 1952.The Town Hall's story begins in 1910, as some farsighted men bought the last vacant plot on Jernbanevej near Lyngby Station in order to be able to build a road from the station to Lyngby Hovedgade. In 1917 Lyngby-Taarbæk bought Feyerschous Meadow (now the town square) and began planning a town hall square here.
In 1938 an architectural competition was held. Lyngby-Taarbæk's population had grown so much that a large town hall was needed to accommodate the municipal administration. The competition was won mainly because of the beautiful two-storey meeting hall and because the stairs was pulled out of the building into a tower where a new wing could be added.
Lyngby Town Hall never got an extension. Instead, the municipality decided to rent space in Lyngby shopping center that opened in 1973 in a 6-storey administration building, which was constructed for the purpose.
How was the administration before Town Hall was built? Well, since the city council began in 1842, the chairman of the parish council stored all municipal correspondence and bankrolls at home. Only in 1883 we got a city office, as the secretary of the Parish Council provided his office as a municipal office. They managed this way till 1899, when Lyngby Municipality (from 1909 Lyngby-Taarbæk) listed a "Municipal Building" in Åstræde. It was joined up with the former poor house ("Drewsens Minde", Gammel Lundtoftevej 8). These buildings housed the municipal administration until 1941, when the Town Hall was opened. The former offices were then rebuilt to become retirement homes.