The temple

Marker 14.

Lyngby
The temple was built in 1903 as Lyngby Technical College. Thecollege was started in 1893, and was housed in rented premises in Lyngby Private School for a few years, and in 1899 we got access to a long thatched house courtesy of proprietary Lars Jorgensen at Lyngbygård, where now is the fire station.

Conditions were primitive, and in 1900 13 of the city's societies joined forces to raise money for a new "stylish and contemporary" school building. The building contained six rooms, and when the school initially did not need all of them, two rooms leased to Lyngby Bank untill 1918. The building cost 22,000 Kr. to build.

As a support association for the school Lyngby Technical Society was formed in 1898. When this was abolished in 1909, the responsibility was passed on to Lyngby craftsman and Industry Union (Lyngby Håndværker- og Industriforening). This was abolished in 1916, after which the school became an independent institution.

When the building was built it was at the same level as Jernbanevej, but when the viaduct for Buddingevej was built in 1920, Jernbanevej was lowered. This gave the temple its majestic location above the high staircase.

In 1908 Lyngby Technical College began providing business school education. For some years you could have the first two years of teaching at the school in Lyngby, then the third year was taught at the Merchant School (Købmandsskolen) in Copenhagen. From 1931 to the entire education could be taken in Lyngby, and in 1937 thetrade school became a separate school, with premises at Lindegård School. Since then the school has expanded, and is today known as the Business Academy Copenhagen North (Handelsskolen København Nord).

Since 1956 technical colleges should specialize, and Lyngby Technical College became the central school for auto mechanics from the metropolitan area and parts of Northern Sealand. In 1964 teaching was moved to rented premises. Finally, the school was the largest educational institution for auto mechanics, but moved away from Lyngby in 2005.

The old building at Jernbanevej was used as a technical school till 1969 when it was taken over by the Lyngby-Taarbæk as a youth club and disco (Club 16). In 1992 it was renovated and became a venue for rock music called Rhythm Temple, which was soon shortened to the Temple.

Marker 15

In Danish