LindegaardenMarker 6. |
Lyngby
|
The large yellow quadrangular courtyard (8 Peter Lund Vej) (Peter Lund Road) is the best preserved of Bondebyen's (Farmerstown’s) old houses, even though it needs some maintenance. The current wings were built in 1841, 1856, 1864, 1871 (the residential part towards the road) and 1883. However there has been a courtyard farm at this location since at least 1764, that can be seen on the oldest map of Lyngby.Bondebyen's original layout is clear; the farms formed a crooked square around an open space with a pond. This design originated in the Middle Ages and the open space would be used to assemble rounded-up cattle before the village cowherd drove them to the common grazing areas. The site was a shared space (a common) and there was also the village school here. Gradually a network of roads spread across the area and it turned into the village square (now Peter Lund Vej), still with the pond. The pond was filled in in 1900 at the same time as the red brick building (22A Gammel Lundtoftevej) was built as an extension to the school.
There were open fields all the way to Dyrehaven from Lindegaardens eastern port. When you stand in Lindegaarden’s courtyard it is like being back in time and you can dream that the village pond and the open, far-flung fields are still there. In those days the fields were small and scattered within the area of the village (photo: marked on the map from 1778).
As in other villages, Bondebyen's farms were few but large and the farmers were well-off. In 1778, the farm areas were reallocated and communal farming was abandoned. Instead individual farms were enclosed and the original eight farms in Bondebyen became seven. Two additional farms were moved farther east. The seven farms that were not moved from the original village had their fields reallocated so they formed a star with Bondebyen as its centre.
Nearly all farms in Bondebyen and Lundtofte were bought in 1930 by the Copenhagen Municipality so the city could expand. The former owners stayed and continued to farm, but now as tenants. Large areas of land were developed as housing after World War II and in 1958 the state expropriated large areas of land for the construction of Denmark’s Technical University (DTU).