The oldest, central part of Lyngby Church dates from the middle of the 12th century. It was built of granite with limestone corner blocks. The lower three stories of the tower were built in the 14th century and a chapel was built on the south side and the tower was extended to 5 stories around 1500. The extensions were built with red bricks and with gothic windows. Vaulting was built into the whole of the extended church and it was decorated with frescos. The surrounding cemetery contains gravestones in very old styles.