Fortification Canal (the Moat)

Marker 7.

The path runs through the so-called Fortification Canal that was dug out in 1887-1888. The canal was part of Copenhagen’s defences that ran from Furesøen through Lyngby to Ermelunden. There was water in the canal until 1920 and it was deeper than now. A path from Lyngby Church to the Lyngby Supplementary Cemetery crossed the canal on a bridge so funeral processions with coffins could cross over. The ”pall-bearer bridge” has now been replaced by two stairs. Burials no longer take place in the cemetery, which was opened in 1851 and contains the graves of many well-known people.


Marker 8

In Danish