Havnehytten (The harbour hut)

Marker 17.

The railway from Copenhagen to Elsinore via Hillerød was planned in 1863 to pass east of Lyngby. It would cross Lyngby Kirkestræde and then go through a corner of Sorgenfri Castle Park and across Frieboeshvile until Sorgenfri and further on as today.

The vicar of Lyngby objected strongly to having the railroad between the church and the rectory. So he got the Dowager Queen Caroline Amalie of Sorgenfri Castle to veto the railroad on the castle grounds. This meant that a dam (now the promenade) had to be built through the easternmost part of Lyngby sø with a bridge over Mølleåen.

The small recreational area with bridges, "Lyngby Port" and the restaurant Havnehytten ("Harbour cottage") was added and is now a very popular place with music entertainment in the summer.


Marker 18

In Danish